Avoid salvaging carpet or pad that has been affected by groundwater
Groundwater is considered a Category 3 by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) Category 3 Water – “That which is highly contaminated and could cause serious illness if consumed by humans. Examples: sewage, rising flood water from rivers and streams, ground surface water flowing horizontally into homes”.
Do not turn up your thermostat to try and dry wet areas. This can promote mold growth.
- Never use a fan if visible mold is present. Use of dehumidification is recommended.
- Inspect sump pumps regularly to check for clogs.
- Do not throw away any affected contents before documenting for insurance purposes.
- Usually limited insurance coverage if any – Sump Pump Endorsement / Back Up of Sewers and Drains. Most carriers offer the standard $2500. Some companies offer higher limits. If you have the option always opt for the maximum coverage available.
- The average groundwater loss can typically run into the thousands. So be sure to check with your Agent or Carrier about options.